Sunday, March 3, 2013

You Suck At Business

I just hung up the phone with a person who holds a real estate license, after asking them if they would like to put their license to work and they advised me; “the real estate market is dead and they had no idea how anyone could possibly make a living in real estate”.  Really, why would I be calling, looking for people to go to work?
 I decided to change directions and make a few calls to some active realtors who seemed to be struggling in the business, invite them for a cup of coffee, so we could discuss how our company could help them make more money in the business. The comment they replied to me was rather rude and, I reminded the person;” I could not physically put my head there and there was no reason to assume that is was where they claimed it to be, so I didn’t have to retrieve it from the location they assumed it to be”.   I just don’t understand why there was such apathy of license holders and why they were struggling in our industry, and then it struck me; they just suck at business.  Yes, I said that, they suck at business and here is how I came to that conclusion. 
It started with their business plan we worked together on to develop, so they could achieve success, which was the first mistake, (I was advised the plan would be impossible to achieve because it was impossible to actually make the numbers work).  We offered a free web site so they could have web presence, which was an even bigger mistake, (the site didn’t offer enough widgets and the majority of the public needed more information than a cheap web site had to offer).  We went over our technology, several times, (it was explained to me that we needed to hire administration people to handle the menial tasks). We showed them how to gather the low hanging fruit  in real estate by calling expired listing and FSBO’s, (which was explained to me, was a huge mistake, they only hang up on you when you call).  Along with the opportunities of failure I offered them, I advised them to use social networking to expand their center of influence, (they liked that idea because they could sit at their desk all day long and keep up with their friends, share pictures what they had for lunch, pictures of them at the office and tweet their hearts out).  I showed them how to market listings and themselves on free sites and it was soon my fault they had couldn’t afford to work in real estate because of all the great deals they found on the web sites and they informed me that they would have to get a real job.
 Yes folks, with all the distracters’ out there, keeping people from doing what they should be doing, prospecting for business.  If you really want to make money in the real estate business, you have to work.  If you have to check your email every ten minutes, log on to Facebook immediately after getting your email notification, if you must respond to the offensive tweet you received, if you can’t bear to get hung up on, be called nasty names by people who don’t even know you, then I guess you’re right, there is no way for you to make any money in real estate sales, (or any other sales jobs for that matter).  So get out there and find that 9-5 job that will pay you far less than what you think you’re worth, (while you use the company computer to check your email, Facebook, tweet, look for bargains on all the available websites and, follow up with a text to your friends from your cell phone, of what an ass your boss is. Just one thing to let you know from a business owner to an employee;  “You Suck at Business”!

No comments:

Post a Comment